Friday, November 18, 2011

Should I learn both BJJ and Muay Thai, or should I only chose one?

I want to learn Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, mostly just for fun and recreation but open to small competitions. I was wondering if it was a good idea to try to learn both at the same time or should I just chose one? If I had to chose one which would you guys chose? I am 6%26#039;0%26quot; and 190lbs, and I weightlift so I am pretty strong.|||Definitely the two together. They are the Reese%26#039;s peanut butter cup of martial arts.





And don%26#039;t listen to these guys that say no weight training. There are some that go without, but as a fellow tall guy, I say we need the weight training for resilience as much as power. (tall guys can throw their back out easier because of the leverage, so work your dead lifts.) Weight training will always be part of my personal curriculum.|||i would do both





cross training is ideal when it comes to martial arts


you get a solid stand up with a solid submission backround





i also would say avoid the weights, generally the taller you are the less muscle cause your bones take more weight, this is one of the reason for Matt Hughes being JACKED! and say Nate Diaz looking more like a twig (not trying to diss on Diaz i love him as a fighter)





lastly the height will help in both should you choose one


it will make it harder for your opponents to hit you in the head in Muay Thai and allow for you to most likely have a reach advantage





in BJJ it allows you to move better on the ground, say triangle chokes and such, you can also hold people in guard better|||You should do one at a time. But if you are really free, it%26#039;s good to do both.





I would suggest Jiu-Jitsu. It is good because it teaches mainly ground technique, which is essential but often neglected in most martial arts. Often it is useful when it comes to real fighting.|||The more techniques the better, that%26#039;s why MMA guys are cross-training, because in a fight competition or otherwise, the more you know the better.


Obviously, however, if you want to concentrate on just one discipline, ask yourself %26quot;Do I want to knee a guy in the face, or would I rather break his joints?%26quot; the answer to that question is your answer.|||Its really going to come down to what your looking to get out of it, if your looking to get into MMA. Try no GI BJJ, Boxing is always good too becasue it will be easier to find a good boxing gym than a Muay thai gym(if you live in the states). if you just want to be a guy on the streets that can handle him self judo is good for too teaches good slams that can work in any street fight.|||Since you%26#039;re in good shape, this may not be an issue for you - but I remember when I did submission wrestling and kickboxing at the same time my elbows and ankles always really felt over worked. I started with striking (Karate when I was 7), but you don%26#039;t have to start that way. Most Jiu Jitsu places teach striking as a self defense even though it%26#039;s not part of the traditional sport.|||i say both its better to have two than one.. your tall i%26#039;ll strongly suggest its muay thai,, but its better if you master all the basics and fundamentals of the two|||Definately both, and btw you prolly shouldn%26#039;t weightlift too much in martial arts.|||get a good base in muay thai first and then cross train in bjj.

No comments:

Post a Comment