Saturday, November 14, 2009

Looking for a good stand-up martial art; Muay Thai?

I%26#039;ve been involved in wrestling and some karate but lately I%26#039;ve been intrested in Muay Thai. Guardian MMA, a gym near me, offers it and was wondering if it would be something I should join? I%26#039;m 15.


I%26#039;m quick and light on my feet and like to stand-up and strike rather than roll which is what I%26#039;ve been doing mostly in wrestling. Does anyone recommend Muay Thai in this regard?|||Yes muay Thai would be good or even Boxing if the kicking isn%26#039;t to your liking after you try it :)***|||The biggest question is whether or not the instructor at this place is worth a darn. Watch a class, find out who the instructor is, then I recommend researching the guy%26#039;s credentials. If he%26#039;s legit, then he likely has something of a reputation. If he%26#039;s a horrible teacher, then he%26#039;ll have a reputation as well. Hint: the internet is a wonderful tool for such things.





Muay Thai is a great art form for learning striking. Kyokushin karate is another good one, but it suffers from the aforementioned problem: you have to check some credentials.|||If you wanna try something thats really off the wall, learn Capoeira. I%26#039;ve been at it for 5 years and I hate how people say its not a real martial art. YOU GET HIT! OK!!? The training is both aerobic and anaerobic, Upper and Lower body, To me it seems complete. Also you get the same physical training for most stand up martial arts but capoeira will help you%26#039;re agility, flexibility, balance, and power! The only thing we don%26#039;t %26quot;really%26quot; train is punching. I go to a boxing gym for that...Boxing for Arms, Capoeira for Legs/Arms|||That sounds ideal because Muay Thai is generally the most effective striking art and because it%26#039;s an MMA gym you would be learning grappling and takedowns as well.





As far as street fighting goes, Krav Maga teaches you how to win street fights better than any other style. But for sport fighting, Muay Thai at an MMA gym is your best choice.|||my advice is give it a try


you can never go wrong with learning as many different stand up styles you can


you also cant go wrong with kick boxing or even


i also suggest that you should try out sambo


it gives you a nice stand up defense and helps break up the monotony of wrestling|||Muay Thai is excellent very demanding and worthwhile, but I agree with a previous poster learn a bit about the gym before joining, watch a class and see if any of the fighters that train there enter competitions and how they do in them.|||Go and check it out. See if you like the way the instructor teaches, if the facilities are good, the attitude of the members, etc. If it suits you, go for it.|||Muay Thai is great for stand up fighting (in a ring / sport scenario). If that%26#039;s what you want it for then give a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment